Monday, September 10, 2007

Week 2 Reflections

It's late and I'm kinda sleepy, but here goes nothing: I have learned a lot in these first two weeks. We have talked about interpretation, ethnocentric interpretation, form, content, representational, abstract, non-objective art, iconography and much, much, more. I have learned how to better work a discussion board, a blog, a podcast, and a voicethread. I have seen a pretty wide-variety of art samples...I like some more than others...I find the sculpting of Ron Mueck more fascinating than the non-objective art samples from the podcast we saw for example, but I appreciate them both.

I have to admit, I thought this was just going to be a "filler class" that helped me fulfill a general education requirement and I wouldn't really learn much because I didn't think I wanted to learn much about art. Boy, was I wrong. This class has been really fun. I have 5 classes right now and this is the most involved and usually that means the most annoying class, but that's not the case. This course is very organized and surprisingly personal for an online course. Once you get the hang of using all of the tech tools it is lots of fun and easy to follow. Many of my other online classes are very unstructured and just plain boring. I am looking forward to what the next 12 or so weeks have in store for us. Hopefully we all keep up with the work load and learn all we can about art and have some fun along the way : )

2 comments:

CourtneyQuigg said...

Matthew, Wow I can't believe how much fun your page is. It says so much about you. Lots of pictures, and having the music on here is very original. I really felt like I got to know more about you. Most of the time your don't even find out this much about your other classmates when you are in a classroom. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow.. my thoughts exactly. i'm also taking 5 classes right now and also find this class to be the most involved and least annoying. Although this class has a lot to keep track of, it's fun right? It's like all the content that would otherwise make someone pull their hair out, kinda sucks you in. I guess it's because the subject doesn't force us to think a certain way, but instead let's us explore our own thoughts. I think that helps to ease the pressure of learning something new.

Music For Your Ears...Enjoy!