Friday, October 12, 2007

Analyze That!

I found this picture on Heather Brown's Analyze This! and it just jumped out at me. I had to use it for my Analyze That! I fell in love with the vast array of intensely saturated color that is present (the color scheme is without a doubt poly-chromatic). It reminds me of a kaleidoscope. I was so fascinated with kaleidoscopes as a kid. I would love to see some kind of digital, kinetic art like this that can change like a kaleidoscope. That would be awesome and they could display it at the Crocker Art Museum in the modern art area next the creepy digital one that is a pair of eyes looking at you.

The medium of choice appears to be watercolor. This is my assumption because the way the colors transition and mesh together seems so fluid and natural. You can tell that the artist used a very open palette because of the wide variety of rich hues that are present. If you look closely you will notice that the placement and combination of color is very important. You have cool areas with blues, purples, greens, and then you have warm areas with yellows, oranges, reds, and this vibrant pink that really steals the show.

There are also many complimentary colors present that can usually be found side by side. This enhances the beauty and brilliance of each color beyond it's own capability. I see blues with oranges, purples with yellows, and greens with reds. This work is just so vibrant, bold, and "in your face." This is due to the composition that the artist did a masterful job of arranging. I have never seen a flower, or bouquet of flowers for that matter, that was quite this breathtaking. I love how this piece presents itself and I would gladly showcase it in my home or office : )

I love the parable of "The Prodigal Son." I found this picture on Elizabeth Bacon's profile. I enjoyed the picture and the wonderful music that was playing...I believe I heard some Newsboys. They are a good band, but anyways...

I love the angle at which this work is presented to the viewer. The horizon line looks as if it is slanting downward to the the right. I think this accomplishes a few things: My eyes seem to follow that line from left to right. It seems natural and comfortable like reading a book. I pass right by the focal point of this painting which is the weeping father's face. It also appears that the father's arms, while embracing his son, are at a similar angle to the landscape in the background. The background appears relatively plain. This may be on purpose as to not distract the viewer.

One thing that you can't avoid noticing is the emotion evoked by this depiction of a father hugging his son, let alone the parable that it represents. If you know the parable of "The Prodigal Son," then even more meaning floods your senses and maybe even your tear ducts. This isn't just your normal, every day hug. These two have gone through a lot and much time has passed since they last embraced. This represents repentance, forgiveness, family, humility, and much, much more.

I thought I would choose these two works because the one is so beautiful and in my opinion pretty simple in meaning (objective)and the other is so chalk full of meaning that you could probably write a novel just about its significance or how it makes you feel (subjective). I like them both for their simplicity and complexity, respectively. I had some fun playing "Analyze That!" : )

3 comments:

EB said...

:) Thank you!! Yes, Newsboys is right

KiM VieRRa said...

i figured since you left me a comment i'd retrun thr favor :-) the first picture that Heather Brown posted, I agree, is absolutely breathtaking. I'm a big fan of pink so I really like this!! You did very well using all of the terms correctly, HIGH FIVE!! ;-)

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

Terrific analysis, Matthew! You're really getting the hang of this art thing!
Michelle

Music For Your Ears...Enjoy!