Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What's up with Thomas Kinkade?

Wow! I have heard a lot of good things about Thomas Kinkade so it was a big surprise to find out about this FBI investigation and the possibility that there is some foul play going on behind the scenes of his work. Or is it somebody else's work? I don't know. I do know that I am not prepared to make any kind of assumption before knowing all the facts, but everything that I have read and seen seems either genuine or really fishy depending on the bias at hand.

I received contrasting feelings when viewing the Thomas Kinkade website (before I had read the article regarding the current FBI investigation and again after reading it) and my increased level of skepticism affected my experience the second time. Instead of being touched by the captions describing each painting, I felt a little nauseous because of the possibility of them being somebody else's words and work. I cringe at the thought of him just putting his name on everything if it really isn't his.

The same thing can happen with the video that was intended for an audience of potential future gallery owners. If I would have viewed it without knowing there is some suspicion of foul play then I would want
to jump on the band wagon and open up a Thomas Kinkade gallery. It sounds wonderful. I was convinced by the music and quality of video, the beautiful images and ambiance of the gallery in the background, and most of all the genuine testimonies of the current owners. They were so sincere. The video just made it sound like it is such a wonderful company; it is a fantastic work environment; the customers are great; it is profitable; it's good for families; it's relaxing, non-stressful, fulfilling, etc. What is there not to like? Now, I wonder if all of these people have also bought in to the same scheme that tens of thousands of people have bought in to...are we all being tricked?

This whole thing reminds me of the Martha Stewart ordeal that surfaced not too long ago. If it is true that we are all being duped, then shame on him. Thomas Kinkade should be strictly punished. What those punishments will, or could be, I don't know. However, on the contrary, if nothing concrete surfaces that proves this conspiracy true and Thomas Kinkade saves face and comes away clean and innocent, then I think that his accusers owe him a public apology. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. They would just say that he got away with it.

It would just be really sad if it were true, especially because of what he sells and who he sells it to. He is not just selling paintings; he is selling the spirit of families, holidays, national pride, fantasy, nature, life, religion, and much, much more. His target group seems to be middle class America, particularly those that are religious, sentimental, and family-oriented. If you take all of these things that are held in such high regard and use them to fatten your pocket book while covering it up with "tricky marketing" then you deserve whatever is coming to you. I just hope that Thomas Kinkade hasn't established himself as a "master of capitalism" by taking advantage of the wonderful, trusting, and God-loving people along the way.

It will be interesting to find out more as investigations progress and more information is released to the media. I want to find out how this mystery of Thomas Kinkade ends. : )

1 comment:

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

Matt,

Great post. You've summarized a lot here and it shows that you're thinking critically about Kinkade. I do want to be sure you understand that the works sold in Kinkade galleries are in *fact* prints made of his paintings (that is, copies) that have been touched up with paint by "painters of light." Years ago I recall seeing an ad in the newspaper (in the employment section) recruiting for "painters of light." How I wish I had cut that out!

His paintings, I've heard, actually aren't for sale any longer. I believe this choice was made when the cost of his "works" began to decline recently. This is another schrewd (?) tactic to tighten up on the "supply" to increase the "demand" for his work (or copies of his works touched by other "artists").

All in all, it's a complex issue and I applaud your critical approach. In the end, can a viewer still enjoy a Kinkade image? Sure, if s/he falls into his market audience.

Personally, I found the analogy between Cinderella's castle in Disneyworld and the soaring heights of a cathedral a little too much. Think about this. Why is he choosing Disney as his subject matter? Now there's an audience (=$$$$$$$).

Michelle

Music For Your Ears...Enjoy!