Monday, October 8, 2007

Watch the Magic


"Watch the magic!" is right. When I took these pictures I thought they looked exactly the same. It wasn't until I loaded it up on my computer that I saw the huge difference. The color change really is "magical." The photo on top was taken in the morning when it was a little overcast and the sun was barely peeking through the clouds. The photo on the bottom was taken in the afternoon on your average sunny day.

If you just take a look at each of the individual colors you can see the difference really is night and day. O.K., they were both taken during the day, but you get what I mean...Sheesh! Light truly does directly affect color in a big way. When you have very little light on an overcast day the colors seem more pure/vibrant. You can see the bark is nearly orange in the picture on the top and a light tan in the picture on the bottom. The slide on top is your typical primary color red and on the bottom it is a pale, faded red. In the first, the canopies look almost teal and in the other they appear green. The most obvious complimentary colors that I could see in the first picture are the blue and orange that make up the canopy and bark respectively. In the second picture your eyes seem to shift to the red/green complimentary colors. You can go a step further and analyze the change in color and light in the grass, sky, houses in the background, etc., but these are the ones that stood out to me the most.

I was also really surprised at the huge difference in the shadows found in each photo. The photo on top has shadows that are very hard to make out and they appear directly underneath each individual piece of the playground. To the contrary, the picture on the bottom has very distinct shadows that seem elongated and stretch behind the play structure. I was amazed at this transformation. It almost appears as if I took these two pictures ten years apart after the play structure had faded from the sun instead of how it really played out and the play structure is brand new and the pictures were taken a day apart.

Wow this was crazy! I'm crazy! I even took some additional pictures that I found kind of neat for your viewing pleasure : )




1 comment:

Daniel Salois said...

Got a little carried away did ya? It is amazing how the light effect ordinary things that we would never have thought of before this class.

Music For Your Ears...Enjoy!